How To Make CBD Brownies: The Best CBD Brownie Recipe
Posted by Tweedle Farms on Jun 16th 2021
From mixes like Baker Bros Take and Bake CBD Brownies to CBD Brownie Bites by Magic Kitchen, brands have been dipping their toes into making CBD brownie products. But why buy a CBD brownie or CBD brownie mix if you can make a CBD brownie on your own?! Similar to the classic weed brownie, we're going to use oil or butter that has been infused with CBD flower to make the beloved chocolate treat.
At its core, a brownie made with any cannabis, whether it's marijuana or hemp, requires CBD infused oil or cannabutter. We've already taught you how to make cannabutter and how to make CBD-infused cooking oil, so we're going to jump right into making brownies with CBD and answering common questions about CBD brownies.
Why This Is the Best CBD Brownie Recipe
Knowing how to make cannabis-infused coconut oil or cannabutter is key to making many cannabis recipes. As soon as you unlock these two ingredients, you'll be well on your way to making all kinds of CBD treats. Plus, when you make your own oil or butter, you decide what type of CBD flower or CBD shake to use and how much of it! And then you can just substitute your oil or butter into any recipe you want.
Is Cannabutter or CBD-Infused Oil Better For Your Brownies?
That's for you to decide! The process for making both is quite similar, and most cannabis brownie recipes let you choose one or the other.
Should I melt cannabutter for brownies?
No, it needs to be at room temperature.
CBD Brownie Cooking Supplies:
- 8x8 Baking Pan
- Parchment Paper
- Hand Mixer
- 2 Medium Sized Bowls
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups
- Flour Sifter or a sieve
- 1 Butter Knife
- 1 Tooth Pick
CBD Brownie Recipe Ingredients:
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup cannabutter or cannabis coconut oil at room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar or cannabis sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon optional toppings nuts, cocoa nibs, peanut butter or chocolate chips, etc
Directions on How To Make CBD Brownies:
- Prep Time: 10 Min
- Cook Time 30 Min
- Total Time 40 Min
- Servings: 9
- Calories Per Serving: 240
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Line the 8 "x8" baking pan with parchment paper and grease it.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. To remove lumps, sift the flour and cocoa powder. Next, add salt and then baking powder.
- Separately, mix the cannabutter or oil, white sugar, and brown sugar in a medium bowl using a hand mixer. It will be creamy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla to the creamed mixture and mix on medium speed for one minute. The cream will become less dense.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix on low speed until the ingredients are evenly distributed
- Pour the brownie mixture into the greased baking pan. Gently tap the pan to smooth out the batter.
- Add any toppings that you want to add now.
- Bake the brownies for 25 to 30 minutes. Your oven and desired brownie consistency will impact the bake time. If you test your brownies with a fork or toothpick, you'll know you'll have fudgy brownies when the testing tool comes out with some brownies on it. Make sure that the brownie on the testing tool is cooked rather than brownie batter.
- Let the brownies cool for half an hour if you can! Feel free to dust with powdered sugar, add frosting, or whatever else you like.
Tips for Making CBD Brownies:
- To prevent packing, transfer your flour and cocoa powder from its container to the measuring cup using a spoon. Then level with a flat edge, like a knife.
- If you want fudgier brownies, use ½ cup of flour instead of ⅔.
CBD Brownies Nutrition:
Saturated Fat: 11g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g
How to Calculate Potency in Your CBD Brownie Recipe:
If you followed our recipes for cannabutter or CBD-infused coconut oil, then you'll end up with 1 cup that includes 14 grams of CBD flower. If, for example, your hemp flower has 10% CBDa, each gram gives you 80mg of CBDa. Since we used 14 grams, you end up with 14 x 80 = 1120mg for one cup. This recipe calls for ½ cup of oil, which is 560 mg. Divided between 9 servings, that's 62 mg of CBDa per brownie.
Can you make CBD brownies using a boxed mix?
Yep! You can add CBD to a brownie mix using CBD-infused oil or cannabutter. Just substitute the oil called for by the recipe for cannabutter or cannabis-infused coconut oil. So, if you're making a Betty Crocker brownie mix, which usually requires ½ or ⅔ cups of vegetable oil, just use the CBD oil or CBD butter of your choice. This goes for any brownie mix so that you can make keto CBD brownies, vegan CBD brownies, gluten-free CBD brownies, and more!
How long are your CBD brownies good?
Cannabis brownies last just as long as regular brownies, which means you should eat them within a week before they spoil.
Can I store CBD brownies in the freezer?
Yes, you can freeze your CBD edibles. Freeze them within a week before they spoil. Put the edibles in waxed paper, which comes off easier than plastic wrap or sandwich bags and doesn't affect the taste. It would be best if you also stored yours in something airtight. A glass jar or silicon container is best. Oxygen and moisture can degrade the potency of your edible and also contribute to mold and bacteria growth. It would help if you also kept your CBD brownies in the dark since light can contribute to the degradation of cannabinoids.
Can I freeze my CBD brownies if they're hot, or should they cool down first?
You should let your CBD brownies cool first before freezing them because the heat of hot brownies can melt other things in your freezer, which can contribute to freezer burn and spoilage.
What's the best way to reheat CBD brownies?
If you want to return your brownie to its original, gooey, melted chocolate glory, you can use your oven or microwave.
- Reheat your brownies in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes at 350F°.
- Reheat a brownie in the microwave just by putting it on a plate for 15 seconds. You can set your brownie on a damp paper towel to help make it moister.
Does microwaving edibles ruin them?
A microwave may degrade some cannabinoids but not so many to make a difference in your CBD edible.
What if your dog or pet ate a CBD brownie?
Watch your pet for any unusual signs and behaviors like wobbly legs, urinary incontinence, fatigue, etc. In general, you only want to feed your dog or pet CBD that's formulated for pets, like Tweedle Farms Furry Friends Pet CBD Oil, because it's formulated not to include things that pets might be allergic to, like chocolate, certain terpenes, THC, etc.
Will making cannabis brownies make your house smell?
Your house will smell if you're decarboxylating cannabis flowers and making your own cannabis coconut oil or cannabis. Still, if you're just making brownies, your home will smell more like brownies than cannabis.
Will I pass a drug test if I eat a CBD brownie?
While they're not pot brownies, we can't guarantee that you'll pass a drug test if you eat a hemp brownie. Even though CBD products must be sourced from hemp that's .3% THC by dry weight or less, a drug test may still pick up on THC even in these trace amounts. CBD may also trigger the production of the same metabolites humans use to digest THC, turning up on some drug tests. So, you may not want to eat CBD brownies between a one or two-week period before a drug test.
We hope you enjoyed this classic CBD brownie recipe. We have even more CBD-infused recipes. And, If you have any questions, you can contact us here.